Sea Shore Antics Forum Index Sea Shore Antics
This forum of www.seashoreantics.com is to glean or discuss info on UK sea shore wildlife and their antics, beit what they do, where they do it and why when and how.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Tsunami is not a tidal wave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sea Shore Antics Forum Index -> SeaShoreAntics-Oceanography: tsunami
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natalie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: A Tsunami is not a tidal wave Reply with quote

It makes my blood boil! (rant)

I think it belittles what these pnenomonon (spelling?)

are and how they come about.
I would appreciate it if the press would title them correctly as a Tsunami so the general public get out of the 'old fashioned'

(uninformed) thought of calling them tidal waves... If we (the human race) are to learn about such things and perhaps get together to prevent such loss of life and

damage when another incident occurs, then to know them, their formation and how they travel and deposit their energy is paramount.
(rant over)

thankyou.

This is simple and effective animation for knowledge:

To see animation, click here:

http://www.seashoreantics.com/feature_000_tsunami.html

nat
x
administration
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, good point Nat

It would also be more respectful to the many that have suffered, if it were known for its true Tsunami identity rather

than tidalwave. I get wound up myself as I guess I associate 'tidalwave' with movies and therefore detracts from the oh so reality of this incident

I think its only

a small number that do lable it incorrectly though, so the majority of understanding is in the right direction.
Kate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of journalists are sent to reort on the 'effect', so I guess few are genned up on the scientific causes behind it.... or are genning up as they

go.

An event of this magnatude is only suprising to humans who are not aware of this planets natural abilities and workings (over geological time frames). I keep

hearing ''in my lifetime'' stated in most of the suprised interviewies, but that is not even 'a second' on the 24 clock of time.

Now lets hope (after dealing with

the souls that got effected) that Indian Ocean, and North Atlantic for that matter, get warning systems installed and localised shoreline governments have comunication

and a plan of action (in the infrequent, but possible occurance of subsequent events).

Kate
Melanie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres an example of the difference that exists in Wave Periods (their frequency if you stayed in one place in the sea and timed

them passing by).

ripples.......................... with periods of fractional seconds
    wind

chop.................... about one to four seconds
    fully developed seas.... about five to twelve seconds
    swell............................ about six to twenty-two

seconds
    surf beat...................... about one to three minutes
    tsunamis...................... about ten to twenty minutes
    tides............................ about twelve

or twenty-four hours

info taken from the book:
Willard Bascom. 1980.

Waves and Beaches, Doubleday, pg 7.

Mel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sea Shore Antics Forum Index -> SeaShoreAntics-Oceanography: tsunami All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: