Sea Shore Antics Forum Index Sea Shore Antics
This forum of www.seashoreantics.com is to glean or discuss info on UK sea shore wildlife and their antics, beit what they do, where they do it and why when and how.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Common prawn (Leander squilla)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sea Shore Antics Forum Index -> SeaShoreAntics: champion a seashore critter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nrp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Common prawn (Leander squilla) Reply with quote

Amazing creatures: so delicate, dainty, weirdly alien, always active, fascinating to watch, prettily coloured and

transparent to boot!
Melanie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elegant indeed! someone agreed with you so much they may have updated the name Wink I like your description, nrp, you have good

observations.

Common prawn -
Palaemon elegans
Scientific name: Palaimon is Greek and the name of a cult on Inos and for the drowned son of Athamas,

Melikertes, worshipped as the patron saint of ships. Isthmic games were celebrated every second year in his honour and a celery wreath was the prize. Elegans is Latin

and means dainty or elegant.
Other scientific names: Leander squilla.

Info gleened from here:

http://tmbl.gu.se/vattenkikaren/Fakta/arter/crustace/decapoda/palaeleg/palaelne.html

Mel
nrp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is "Leander squilla" out of date? I was using "The sea shore" by C M Yonge (5th impression, 1970). He also refers to "Gobius ruthensparri" which

is now called "Gobiusculus flavescens". I hadn't realised that taxonomy was in such a muddle. It's tricky identifying these little critturs. In fact, as you're an admin,

could I suggest a new forum called "What is it?" I can even post the first query, a small kind of anemone.

Usually I check with

http://www.marbef.org/data/ermssearch.php, not that I know if it's especially sound, but it gives me a fixed point of reference. It doesn't have "Leander squilla" but it

does have "Palaemon elegans" so I'll use that from now.

I like the site you gave - I've been wondering exactly what the various ranks meant and that site give

the kind classical background I enjoy. It's more mythology than science, but the combination is satisfying.

Sorry to go on at such length but the topic's

interesting! Smile
Melanie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, up to date info is a must in order to 'speak the in date lingo'. Considering there are:
48,000 names; 30,000 valid species; 2,000

References just on the site you mentioned, it is a professional, ful-time job to list the catalogue.

Your idea of a list for reference is perhaps a good one. It would

be inefficient to start one from scratch as many other sites are dedicated to just that.... so rather than repeat (as soooooo many sites do!), we considered it a good

idea to set up a reference forum for info.... listing the existing reference sites themselves.... A list in itself which would grow as people discovered, or had, their chosen

site.

Think that's prob the best way of tackling the point. Valid point that it is you've made.
Be couple days I expect, but have emailed the gang to set in a

new forum catagory.

No worries about going on... the subject is indeed vast. This site comes at it from 'story telling, with a science foundation'... It's really out

to CAUSE more questions than answer them!! (as many a teacher has written in to 'complain' about!)... as they were bombarded with fired up questions from the

inspired youngsters. heha. Cool Exclamation

Anyway thanks for idea

Mel
nrp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melanie-

I didn't mean yet another species list, but something I've not seen anywhere yet, namely a discussion forum to help identify

animals and plants. For example, I could post a description of an anemone, maybe with a jpg, and respondents could ask questions to help identify it, or suggest what

specific it might be, which would give the thread-starter a place to start searching.

Mere species lists aren't much use by themselves. As I say, I've not seen

such a forum anywhere else. The best I've seen is a site offering pictures of things, but as they aren't selected or sorted, you get all sorts of irrelevant things, and

there's no accomanying text for key features to aid identification.
Melanie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see. Yep good idea and very helpful. I do know of one that opporates as an open info messeging system.
You join the yahoo group, then

upload pic and then place a messege on their board and this messege is then emailed out to all the members...... You then get replies from those that know an

answer.

The link to that one is:l
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/glaucus

Will have a think if would work on this (if

not duplicating what can be acheived through the yahoo method). Certainly we should list these sites as reference sites, that would be a worthy cause.

See

what you think of the group. Its different from here, as here we collect and collate info as have quiet visitiors who visit to peruse the wealth of wisdom Wink and on

the yahoo it comes to the 'inbox' but CRUCIALLY general public dont see it, whereas they do here.

we'll see if a need is still required to be 'sorted'
Mel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sea Shore Antics Forum Index -> SeaShoreAntics: champion a seashore critter All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: