Sea Shore Antics Forum Index Sea Shore Antics
This forum of www.seashoreantics.com is to glean or discuss info on UK sea shore wildlife and their antics, beit what they do, where they do it and why when and how.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pay more in parking charges for a day at the beach?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sea Shore Antics Forum Index -> SeaShoreAntics: humans at the seashore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bethany

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Pay more in parking charges for a day at the beach? Reply with quote

Recently the South West Tourism boss Malcolm Bell said that

families would not resent paying more in parking charges for a day at the beach if the money was used to improve facilities.

"a

trip to the beach is very good value for money compared with other activities that families can do"

Mr Bell clarified his position as

this:
I was not proposing a charge should be made for using our beaches. I simply commented that a trip to the beach is very good value for money compared with

other activities that families can do.
In an ideal world we would have sufficient Government funding to enable the local authorities and appropriate agencies to

provide high quality beaches with good services. We need to ensure our beaches are environmentally/ecologically maintained and even improved, that we provide good

lifeguard services on the most popular beaches and that we have toilets to be proud of.

beth
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Pay more in parking charges for a day at the beach? Reply with quote

Yes, CHARGE THEM ALL!... it's an opportunity to purge money out of those who dare venture

from town businesses.... and indeed, whilst at the coast.......

.... They should have a 'Tag-A-Tourist-Satnav' (TATS) device surgically inserted

somewhere.
Then at designated points on the coast path (perhaps every mile) an automatic levee will be accumulated by the unit. When back at the carpark, they

dont get their car back until thay have paid the totaled tariff.

It could also click up a levee for sunbathers, on a time-waiting based fee, like a taxi meter in a

traffic jam (perhaps slightly less a tarif than walkers as they are not wearing the paths down).
Then, if they should dare wonder into the sea (known because the

satnav says so.. adjusted for tidein/tideout times of course) they should have the highest levee of all... as lifeguards are worthy of pay increases... especially the ones

that can run in slow motion.

Why stop with the beaches... why not go for Dartmoor as well...
Paint (eco-friendly paint) 1hour max parking with ticket meters in

all the natural laybyes. This would tax a levee on those who dare to think they are here for an economical family day out (or free-loaders, as they have been revealed

for)
... it would also 'move them on' quicker, across the desolate (beautiful yes, but not many places to get em to stop to squeeze some cash out of them) areas

and into the grip of civilisation again... where levees are more easily justified.. congestion and all that.

Then with all that money.. it could be invested in a huge

advertising campaign aimed specifically at getting 'NEW' people to the area...
....ironically it would need such a campaign, cus any 'NEW' people will be the only

ones heading this way the following year

Stop taxing the people... and spend/invest local money more efficiently in the first place... RANT OVER,

better now.
soon be christmas
Cool
jane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaHa (steve)... don't encourage them... they'll think you meant it!

I know there is work done early mornings to

clean the beaches (some beaches).
Tractor with trailored machine raker is let loose each morn in summer with litter picker and Truck. This 3 man crew takes excess

seaweed off the beach and dumps it... tips it at 30/tonne charge or delivers it to farmers for fertilizer and so rids of it free.
The set up is expensive and is a cost

incurred.... yet there again, if it is every year, it would/should be built into the local cost... wonder why they can't advertise to SELL seaweed, to actually generate

some dosh.

Just a thought
Jane
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most carparks I can think of charge for parking. As long as the fee is reasonable and is not exploiting the opportunity (backed by council) I would

consider this a fair deal.
If there for the day, then the cost for a family should still remain a reasonable priced venture. Especially if a home made picknic is made

up.

The key is....... not to have a fee that feels like exploiting the suituation.

andy
Davey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF this money was used to improve facilities, then I would be for it, however having just returned from another tou of the South west, namely the

English Riviera/Torbay, I have been left fuming at the excessive charges and poor facilities provided, Broadsands beach charged from 55p for half an hour increasing on a

strange scale as the more you stay then the more you pay, facilities are great , where beach patrols are maintained all day everyday, The toilets leave a lot to be

desired for both sexes (I know this because you only have to look at the faces of people who reluctantly use them), they (the toilets) stink rancid, never have any soap

in them nor toilet paper, I guess they get a hose down once a month!, but I'd give them 6/10, whereas the public toilet at Oddicombe beach has nothing to offer but

disease, a Charge of .50p per hour is levied and the facilities provided are meagre at any standard, the cafe is a seperate entity altogether.
Teignmouth have it

perfect, they charge seafront parking at .40 per hour (Half price sunday) and your allowed a two hour maximum stay, but the facilities provided are the best the south

west has to offer, further afileld, Blackpool sands charge 6.00 per car + extra charges per passenger if you have a larger car, but for this you can park ALL DAY and

use free facilities for both sexes, including the outdoor shower to wash the grit off your feet, I think it is a trades description classifying it as sand!

I Could go on,

but this statement by Malcolm Bell will probably become part of the current council and future council revenue raising plans, I have spent the past 18 years returning to

The SW/Torbay and am increasingly alarmed at the lack of investment in these areas!

Tourism is a business, but I am going to take mine elsewhere if this decline

continues.

Maybe the Malcolm Bells and similar should look closer to the real problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sea Shore Antics Forum Index -> SeaShoreAntics: humans at the seashore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: