Sea Shore Antics Forum Index Sea Shore Antics
This forum of www.seashoreantics.com is to glean or discuss info on UK sea shore wildlife and their antics, beit what they do, where they do it and why when and how.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dogfish lay square eggs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sea Shore Antics Forum Index -> SeaShoreAntics: It's what they do
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Dogfish lay square eggs Reply with quote

Well perhaps not square by the mathmatical correctness, but slender in width and certainly very much retangular in

profile.

We watched a female lay (seemingly) two eggs at the same time. Hanging from underneath her was the tendrills and she swam around a tuft of seaweed

(unknown) untill the tendrills were snared, then continued circling untill the tendrills were wrapped well and then the eggs (attached) were pulled out. The circling

continued until the tendrills on the other end of the eggs were wrapped around the weed as well.

We will now babysit each weekend!

Dave
Sally

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this as well............ probably not the same dogfish!

At first I thought it was caughtup on monofiliament line because it was going

nowhere, just around in a tight circle.
But on seeing it I paused because it was not stressed or seemingly in distress, so I just watched.

The breeding season

continues all through Winter and Spring I beleive, but I dont know how long the gestation period is.

Sally
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sea Shore Antics Forum Index -> SeaShoreAntics: It's what they do All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: