Sea Shore Antics Forum Index Sea Shore Antics
This forum of www.seashoreantics.com is to glean or discuss info on UK sea shore wildlife and their antics, beit what they do, where they do it and why when and how.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opening Sentence.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sea Shore Antics Forum Index -> Marine Science Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
administration
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Opening Sentence..... Reply with quote

I came across the opening sentence on this forum title description and thought it well written and concise... and on an

interested & needed subject...

Inquiry is central to science learning. When engaging in inquiry, students describe objects and

events, ask questions, construct explanations, test those explanations against current scientific knowledge, and communicate their ideas to others. They identify their

assumptions, use critical and logical thinking, and consider alternative explanations. In this way, students actively develop their understanding of science by combining

scientific knowledge with reasoning and thinking skills.....

The reference from which the sentence comes from is:

http://www.nap.edu/readingroom/books/nses/html/overview.html

It refers to the National Science Education Standards
Abigail

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Think Tanks' are excellent and healthy for moveing the knowledge of mankind forward.. so would agree with sentence entirely.

What I

detest is an 'illness' some (quite a lot) can get, where info is gathered from others and carried as if from self! They should be locked up as theives. Wink

Abi

Cool
natalie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important point and valuable... which is why I think some people find it worthwhile to attempt to steal info and claim as theirs rather than a team

effort of collabourate, or in the least 'discuss'.

Intellectual property, I think is the modern term given to ownership of use of an idea.
Sally

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasoning and thinking skills are amazing in some people. I love those times when a group or someone in particular is realing out ideas, but then is

able to adapt to the information being returned in the 'conversation'.
What I find sad is certain people who seem to read questions from prompt scripts and are

unable to carry the reply along.
Also those people who are focussed on their thoughts and somehow see others as passives (might not be the right word). These

people have monologues rather than a conversation. It is very limited.

So inquiry is very productive for the general awareness, but maybe too risky, too much of a

give away to a 'self' individual.

Inquiry is cool n sexy.

Arn't I grumpy today. Think its true though.
Sal
bethany

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would agree it is healthy and balanced way of learning. Both giving and receiving in the process.
Unfortunately Ive

also seen stealing of peoples ideas (from people who are in position of lecturers). I noticed in this environment that the atmosphere was one of almost paranoia, so very

little info was given out, but a lot was asked for.
Not sure what the name of this attitude is, but would think it the killer of the Inquiry process you mention. I prefer

Inquiry.
Beth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sea Shore Antics Forum Index -> Marine Science Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: